Water-based leisure activities
Water-based leisure activities:
In a canoe – on the Upper Rhône, it’s possible from Motz, Seyssel or Brégnier-Cordon, with over 60km of navigable waterways, going from the main branch of the Rhône to the river’s lônes (secondary branches) and along the Savières Canal.
- By sailing boat, catamaran or windsurf – at the many outdoor sports and recreation centres set alongside the Rhône it’s possible to try out, practise or perfect your skills, notably at La Vallée Bleue (at Montalieu-Vercieu) www.valleebleue.org, or at Le Grand Parc de Miribel-Jonage www.grand-parc.fr.
- Rowing : Numerous rowing clubs organize outings. Along the Upper Rhône, try those at Bellegarde-sur-Valserine, Yenne or Belley-Virignin. South of Lyon, try those at Vienne/St-Romain-en-Gal, from the Port de l’Epervière in Valence or at Pierrelatte.
- Note too the artificial rivers with white waters on which you can test your sporting prowess, notably those at Saint-Pierre-de-Bœuf (42520) www.espaceeauxvives.com, and at L’Isle de la Serre at Porcieu-Amblagnieu (38390) www.espaceeauvive.fr
- Down south, the resort of Le Grau-du-Roi-Port-Camargue is great fun and safe for trying your hand at water sports, from stand-up paddle-boarding, canoeing, windsurfing, jet-skiing, sailing and kite-surfing to going out on a fishing boat. At Le Grau-du-Roi, set between the mouth of the Vidourle River and Le Ponant Lake, the Espace Eco-pagayeur Terre de Camargue is a unique canoeing site in southern France. Here, you set out with a route map, paddling along to find a series of posts dotted about in different corners, offering details on the specific environment or then a navigational game.
In the Languedoc county of Hérault, you can go sailing, windsurfing and more along its stretch of coast, with big resorts like La Grande-Motte, Carnon-Plage, Palavas-les-Flots, Frontignan and Sète catering well to outdoor types. Further popular sporting options in these parts include:
- Kite-surfing: this is a trendy sport that requires physical strength. With the regular strong winds blowing along this coast, this has become a prime location for practising this extremely energetic activity, and you can do it year round.
- Sea kayaking: this sport doesn’t present major difficulties and proves a wonderful way to explore, for example, the string of salt lakes (or étangs) that lie just inland behind the Languedoc beaches, or then the exceptional port of Sète, with its canals and secret grottoes.
- Stand-up paddle-boarding: an activity that mixes some of the pleasures of canoeing with those of surfing, as you paddle along standing up. You can try it out on the edge of the sea and on the lakes just inland before launching onto the Mediterranean waves.
Canoeing along the Vieux Rhône
- Canoeing down the Vieux Rhone: There are several trails of different lengths (lasting 1hr, ½ a day, a full day, or more) and several options to choose from (including camping along the way, or then returning to base via mountainbike or electric bike). Canoeing along this old branch of the Rhône, you cross through a special protected Natura 2000 Reserve. You can canoe all the way from the wine village of Seyssel to beautiful Chanaz (and the Canal de Savière) or even as far as magnificent Lac du Bourget.
Canoeing or stand-up paddle boarding at Chanaz - An outing on the Canal de Savières: from the enchanting village of Chanaz, head along the beautiful historic Canal de Savières leading you onto Lac du Bourget, the largest natural lake in France, surrounded by mountains. Canoes available for 1, 2 or 3 people, or stand-up paddle-boards available for 1hr, 2hrs or more.
Canoeing at Espace Eau Vive Isle de la Serre
Bikes, mountain bikes and electric bikes – An outing in typical territory along ViaRhôna: Starting out from the Aqualoisirs de Seyssel base or from Chanaz’s outdoor leisure centre, explore typical Savoyard territories by bike, mountain bike or electric bike. Enjoy visiting historic spots and tasting local produce (AOC wines produced on glorious slopes, hand-crafted chocolate, and more) in grandiose surroundings, the magnificent views changing all the time.
Additional options include: children’s bikes, baby seats, children’s bike trailers, maps and detailed descriptive topoguides.
04 56 82 91 68 / 06 50 58 70 24
firstname.lastname@example.org - www.facebook.fr/ProLynxSports
A nature getaway around Lac d’Aiguebelette
For a getaway to enjoy nature around Aigubelette, a magnificent mountain-surrounded lake west of the Savoie capital of Chambéry…
Stay in a B&B and discover the delights of the area by composing your own menu of activities to try out locally.
Duration: 2 days / 2 nights
Available from 14/04 to 04/10