Arles / Port-St-Louis-du-Rhône ViaRhôna
Elevation of the stage
Waytypes of the stage
Surface of the stage
A part of the ViaRhôna stage has been set up from south of Arles, from the Pont Van Gogh. Beyond the bridge, there’s a fine tarmacked cycle track lasting 6km, as far as the Pont du Mas de la Ville. Then the track is made of compact sand that is not always that well maintained for the time being, going up to the Fos lock. At the end of this track (marked by wind turbines), follow the canal up to the D 35 road where the route comes to an end. Be aware, the D 35 is a very busy road in to Port-Saint-Louis, so take very great care along it.
At the entrance to Port-Saint-Louis, take the cycle track 250m after the intersection with the D 268 road. Follow a stretch of sandy track, then a tarmacked piece leading you up to a drawbridge. Note that it is complicated to take your bike through the restrictive access control measures in place here. After the bridge, take the first right and join the cycle track along Route de Napoléon, the road leading to the beach.
From the bridge at Mas-Thibert, there’s a lovely tarmacked link taking you along to reach the Marais du Vigueirat marshes (2.5km). It’s worth the detour.
SNCF train services
Arles train station :
- Line 8 : Marseille > Arles > Tarascon > Avignon
- Line TER Avignon > Tarascon > Nîmes > Montpellier
- Line TER 10 : Marseille > Avignon > Orange > Valence > Lyon
- Line TGV : Paris Gare de Lyon (4 hours)
- Buses to Marseille, Les Saintes-Maries de la Mer, Les Salins de Giraud
Fos-sur-Mer train station
- Line TER Miramas > Marseille St Charles
- Line 21: Port Saint Louis > Arles par Mas Thibert
- Line 34: Martigues > Marseille par Fos sur Mer, Port de Bouc, Martigues, Chateauneuf les Martigues, Gignac
Tourist Offices :
- Arles Tel : 04 90 18 41 20
- Port Saint Louis du Rhône Tel : 04 42 86 01 21
- Salin-de-Giraud Tél : 04 42 86 89 77