Groslée / La Balme-les-Grottes ViaRhôna
Elevation of the stage
Waytypes of the stage
Surface of the stage
New cycle route wich allows to cross "Le Pays des Couleurs" via Morestel, with an alternation of greenways and shared roads.The greenway between La Vallée Bleue and Lagnieu is signposted. At Lagnieu’s bridge, follow the D 1075 road, then the D 65, to reach La Balme-les-Grottes; note that this stretch isn’t signposted yet.
Groslée <> Sault-Brénaz: follow the D 19 road, physically demanding, with lots of traffic.
Lagnieu <> La Balme-les-Grottes: along grassy tracks that you join by turning right after crossing Lagnieu’s bridge (hybrid bike required).
Railway Stations (SNCF) :
Be carreful, no trains direcly along the route.
Nearest railway stations : Ambérieu-en-Bugey
13 km from Saint-Sorlin en Bugey
11 km from Lagnieu
15 km from la Balme-les-Grottes
- TER (local services) line 35 : Chambéry > Culoz > Ambérieu-en-Bugey > Lyon
- TER (local services) line 4 : Annecy > Aix-les-Bains > Saint-André-le-Gaz > Lyon Part Dieu > Ambérieu-en-Bugey
- TER (local services) line 3 : Saint-Gervais – Evian – Genève > Bellegarde > Culoz > Ambérieu-en-Bugey > Lyon Part Dieu
- TER (local services) line 30 : Mâcon > Bourg-en-Bresse > Ambérieu-en-Bugey
From Morestel : Saint-André-le-Gaz railway station : 19 km from Morestel
- TER (local services) line 54 : Chambéry > Lyon
- TER (local services) line 62 : Grenoble > Saint-André-le-Gaz
- TER (local services) line 4 : Annecy > Aix-les-Bains > Lyon
- TER (local services) line 1 : Grenoble > Bourgoin-Jallieu > Lyon
Tourist Information Centres :
- Pays de Lhuis and Izieu Tourist Office Ph. 04 74 39 80 92
- Morestel Tourist Office Ph. 04 74 80 19 59
- Montalieu-Vercieu, La Vallée Bleue Tourist Office Ph. 04 74 88 48 56
Don't miss :
Saint-Sorlin-en-Bugey: a medieval village with castle
Morestel: a well-flowered historic town that has traditionally attracted painters. It’s a lively place, with numerous historic buildings, shops and exhibitions.
Grottes de la Balme: these conceal stalagmites and stalgatites as well as natural bassins of water. A Balcons du Rhône heritage site.
La Vallée Bleue: a big outdoor sports and recreation centre at Montalieu Vercieu
Briord: with a Roman aqueduct
Serrières-de-Briord: for Le Point-Vert outdoor sports and recreation centre
Sault-Brénaz : Thursday morning
Morestel : Sunday morning
Careful on this route as there is no places to eat even when we got to La Balme les Grottes, however it is May and possibly too early in the season.